I finally got the results* of the mammogram and ultrasound I had in February. The most shocking thing was not the result, it was when I saw my age! Holy Mother of Buddha! I'm going to be 40 soon.Bye bye, thirties! I suppose it shouldn't have shocked me when I saw it there in writing because my husband ( a straight man**) has been asking me what I want for my birthday every day for 11 days.
I keep saying I want nothing because I can't really think of things I want or that would be meaningful for such a good birthday. And, I say nothing because we've been having to spend all our money on tests that tell us if we're dying or not. When you're an adult and you have a house and a car and an iPhone, what else do you need? I'm a simple girl, I don't need much to be happy. I came up with a few things but everything I said made my husband give me the you've got to be kidding look:
1. One of those garbage cans you just wave your hand over and the lid opens. I want that!
2. A coffee table with drawers or cubbies! We need that to hide all our crap.
3. Maybe a new laptop that isn't SLOW.
4. Maybe that new digital rebel with the self-cleaning sensor.
Then I suggested more sentimental things:
5. Maybe another pair of earrings. I am allergic to fake jewelry and have only ONE pair. I wear them every day and I love them. They are diamond and sapphire and match my wedding band and were a gift from Dustin a few years ago.I figure people are getting sick of seeing me in the same earrings but it's not like I can just pop over to Target and get a new pair to change with every outfit- they have to be real gold or platinum. (and by every outfit, I mean one of 3 outfits that doesn't involve a black hoodie)
6. Maybe a trip somewhere good.
I decided items 3,4,5 and 6 were all too pricey given the current state of things so I am back to a garbage can or a coffee table. Both of those things seem lame for a 40th birthday. But, we moved into our house on my 30th birthday so to me, my birthday is the anniversary of us buying our house. All I really care about is that the people I love are alive, healthy and happy. Oh, I also care that my entire birthday not be spent with my husband saying you still haven't told me what you want!
What gift do you want?Or, what gift did you get for a milestone birthday that you loved or hated or laughed at?
Karen's birthday is March 16th. I already know what I am giving her!
What I don't want: a party. I hate parties.
*The results say my thing "probably" is benign and to retest in a few months. I will get a second opinion on 3/18, fear not. I prefer more convincing words like for sure. Karen got her radiation tattoos on monday and will start radiation soon. She's doing great!
**fantasy gay husbands always know what to get.
Visit Linda Woods Artworks for prints on canvas, paper, or wood for all size spaces and budgets.